The BULKEX16 exhibition and conference held last week for the UK’s bulk materials handling industry has been hailed a ‘great success’, with hundreds of industry experts attending the two day event.
BULKEX16 took place at Harrogate International Centre, organised by the Materials Handling Engineers Association.
Feedback showed the quality of the presentations and availability of potential business leads were two key highlights of the event
Presentations were given leading figures Bill Quigley, Excavated Materials Manager at HS2, Chris Griffin, Group Business Development Manager at Peel Ports Group, Stephen Dryden and Simon Turk from Aggregate Industries and Michael Mitchell, Pre-Contracts Engineer at Graham Construction. Martin Downey, Director at The Bristol Port Company and Mike Bradley, Director of the Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology, University of Greenwich also presented at the event.
All of the presentations were very well attended, and feedback has been excellent.
29% of attendees were end-users
22% industry representatives.
Here is some early feedback:
“We were delighted to see so many key industry figures and exhibitors at BULKEX16. We are receiving fantastic feedback from colleagues who attended, with many commenting on the quality of our speakers and potential business leads they went away with,” Michael Kaye, President of the MHEA.
“It was a very enjoyable event, there were some great people there, thank you for inviting me to speak,” Speaker Chris Griffin, Peel Ports.
“We found the event very informative and productive. The exhibition although small was very good and has given us lots to think about and also some good outputs with suppliers to try and better our future maintenance and plant life. The talks were very good,” an attendee.
“Thank you for a great night and award which will take pride of place. I very much appreciate the time and effort you all went to. It was well organised and an excellent meal in nice settings. It was good to see some of the people I have worked with over the years,” award winner.
“The quality of the speakers was exemplary which was a help. I was really impressed by the industry project reports and case studies which were extremely informative. We made some good contacts and leads which made the event worthwhile”, Professor Mike Bradley, Director, The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology
Celebrating excellence and talent
Meet our award winners! For the first time, the MHEA held its Excellence Awards to recognise talent and creativity within the association.
The awards ceremony and gala dinner took place at The Majestic Hotel, Harrogate, where five 2016 winners were announced. More than 100 guests from across the industry attended the awards, enjoying the networking opportunity and lively entertainment.
Introducing the Excellence Awards winners:
- Innovation Award – Siemens. Gary Palmer and Gary Chapman accepted the award, having both worked on the project for Hanson which has brought considerable energy and CO2 savings at three of Hanson’s plants
- Supplier of the Year – DMN Westinghouse. Accepted by Bob Rogers, General Manager. DMN Westinghouse was put forward because it offers robust products for all industries within bulk materials handling and is described as ‘a pleasure to work with’
- Apprentice of the Year – Ashley Woodcock, Don Valley Construction
- Project of the Year – Midland Quarry Products, Cliffe Hill Crusher Relocation. Bob Davies, Engineering Manager, accepted the award and gave a brief overview of the project which MHEA members had visited prior to the move in July 2015
- Harold Wright Lifetime Achievement Award – Brian Snowdon. Brian Snowdon was presented his award by Peter Webster, Secretary, MHEA. As the inventor of more than 29 patents, many of which have been internationalised, Brian has significantly influenced the technical and commercial direction of the pneumatic conveying industry globally in every decade since the 1970s, and especially in Europe, China, India and Australia.
Over 30 exhibition stands showcased major suppliers of bulk handling equipment and services across the UK. Exhibitors included industry leaders Flexco, Kingfisher, Siemens, Fike UK Ltd, BS&B Safety Systems, Gas and Industrial Fans and ProSpare among others.
Here is a full list of all the exhibitors. Take a look!